Senior citizens can get free or low-cost computers if they are not able to buy them at retail prices. If the income of senior citizens is low then there are numerous ways for them to get free computers.
Many Governmental and non-profit organisations distribute free or low-cost computers after recognising the needy recipients. Free computers for seniors are provided by many organisations through an application form that is mostly income-dependent.
These organisations provide free laptop or desktop computers to help senior citizens so that they can also access more online resources. Their motive of providing free computers is to help them to take advantage of technology. Free computers for seniors are provided by many organisations through an application form that is completely income-dependent.
How to get free computer for seniors?
As I mentioned above there are many organisations and places through which senior citizens can get a free or low-cost computer. Computers for seniors are free in such organisations.
Here is the list of some places where computers for seniors are freely available:
Computers with Causes
This is an organization that provides free computers to those who have its need and can’t afford to buy them at retail price.
Computer with Causes accepts donations of computers, laptops, smartwatches, tablets, gadgets and other technology from individuals and businesses who want to support their cause. They then refurbish and distribute these devices to various recipients, such as:
- Students, teachers and parents who need access to technology for education and learning
- Foster homes, shelters and community centers that serve vulnerable people or underserved communities
- Disabled US veterans and struggling military families who need assistance and support
Free computers for seniors are provided in these organizations after filling out the online form on their website, where you have to provide your personal information and tell them why you are a candidate for a free computer. You also have to agree to their terms and conditions, which include:
- You are not selling or transferring the computer to anyone else
- You are using the computer for legal and ethical purposes only
- You are responsible for any software or hardware issues that may arise after receiving the computer
Computer with Causes will review your application and check your background and references to verify your need. They will also review their inventory and see if they have a suitable computer for you.If they have the inventory of free senior citizens computers then they will contact you within 30 days. However, they do not guarantee that they can fulfill every request, as they have limited resources and staff.
All applications are valid for 30 days. So if you don’t get any messages regarding your application from them within the specified time frame, you can apply for the same again.
Click here to visit Computers with Causes.
Microsoft Registered Refurbishers
Microsoft registered Refurbishers is a Microsoft-sponsored program according to which free or low-cost computers are provided to people who need them.
Microsoft Refurbishers are businesses that have been approved by Microsoft to buy and sell Windows licenses for PCs and laptops that have been refurbished. They are part of the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program (MAR), which is a partnership designed for the biggest device refurbishers in the world. Microsoft allows them to refurbish Windows devices professionally and install genuine Microsoft software on them, making sure customers have a great experience. These devices are then sold to businesses, consumers, schools and nonprofit organizations.
To get a free computer from Microsoft Refurbishers, you need to contact them directly and inquire about their availability and eligibility criteria. You can find a full list of Microsoft Refurbishers by clicking here. Some of the factors that may affect your eligibility are:
- Your income level and financial situation
- Your location and transportation options
- Your purpose and need for a computer
Some Microsoft Refurbishers may also offer free computers to seniors through their charitable programs or partnerships with local organizations. For example, some Microsoft Refurbishers may donate computers to non-profit organizations that serve seniors, such as senior centers, libraries or community groups. You can contact these organizations and ask if they have any free computers available for seniors.
Local Programs that Offers Free Computers to Senior citizens
There are many local and regional programs run by local governments or charitable trust. So you need to inquire around your area to find such program to get free computer or laptop. Some of the regional programs to get free computers for seniors are:
Smart Riverside Digital Inclusion Program
Smart Riverside is a local program that provides free computers and internet access to low-income residents of Riverside, California. The program is sponsored by the government and nonprofit organizations and aims to bridge the digital divide and promote economic development. To qualify for the program, you need to meet these criteria:
- You live in Riverside, California
- Your household income is $45,000 or less
- You complete a 10-hour computer training course
To apply for the program, you need to visit their website and fill out an online form. You also need to provide proof of income and residency. After completing the training course, you will receive a refurbished desktop computer with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and software. You will also get a free dial-up internet service for one year.
Free Geek is a local program that provides free computers, laptops and computer education to low-income individuals and nonprofits in Portland, Oregon. The program is run by volunteers who collect, refurbish, and recycle the computers and electronics. To qualify for the program, you need to meet one of these criteria:
- You are a low-income individual who receives government assistance or lives in subsidized housing
- You are a student who attends a Title I school or receives free or reduced lunch
- You are a nonprofit organization that serves low-income communities
To apply for the program, you need to visit their website and fill out an online form. You also need to provide proof of eligibility and pay a $20 administrative fee. After completing a 24-hour volunteer service at Free Geek, you will receive a refurbished desktop computer and other accessories. You will also get access to free computer classes and technical support.
Regional Level Schemes
There may be other regional level schemes that offer free computers for senior citizens in your area. You can look on the internet or in your phone directory for more local organizations and groups that are government or nonprofit and that may give free computers to seniors. You can also ask at your library, your city hall, or at civic groups such as Rotary for help in locating local, county, and state agencies that may be involved in computer recycling and donation programs. You can also check with your local schools or colleges if they have any surplus or outdated computers that they are willing to donate or sell at a low price.
Local Computer Shops
Another way to get a free or low-cost computer is to check your local computer shops and see if they have any deals or offers. Some computer shops may have clearance sales, trade-in programs, or donation drives where they give away old or refurbished computers to customers or charities. You can also ask them if they have any spare parts or accessories that they are willing to donate or sell at a low price.
To find local computer shops near you, you can use online directories such as Yelp or Google Maps and search for keywords like “computer repair”, “computer store”, or “computer service”. You can also look for signs or flyers in your neighborhood or community bulletin boards. You can then call or visit the shops and ask them if they have any free or cheap computers available.
The ONIT Foundation
The ONIT Foundation is an organization that provides free laptops for those who are in need. Its full form is Opportunities Necessary to Increase Technology.
Their main goal is to provide free laptops to senior citizens and students with 20 hours of training and ongoing support. They have donated more than 2000 free computers till now.
Free computers for seniors and students are made available and if the computers are not available then they put your name on a waiting list.
Click here to visit The Onit Foundation.
There are some possible ways that seniors can get free or low-cost computers from educational institutions, such as:
- Asking for donations from colleges, schools or universities that upgrade to new computer systems. Some educational institutions may be willing to donate their old computers to senior citizens who need them. You can contact the IT department or the administration of the institutions and inquire about their donation policies and procedures.
- Applying for grants or scholarships that provide free computers for seniors. Some colleges, schools or universities may offer grants or scholarships that include free computers for seniors who enroll in their courses or programs. You can check their websites or contact their financial aid office and ask about the eligibility criteria and application process for these grants or scholarships.
- Participating in computer classes or workshops that provide free computers for seniors. Some colleges, schools or universities may offer computer classes or workshops that provide free computers for seniors who complete them. You can check their websites or contact their continuing education office and ask about the availability and schedule of these classes or workshops.
Also Read: Apple Vision pro vs Hololens 2
Craigslist is a popular online platform where people can buy and sell various items, including computers. Sometimes, people may offer free computers on Craigslist just to get rid of them or because they are upgrading to a new device. To get a free computer from Craigslist, you need to visit their website and follow these steps:
- Select your location from the options like Texas, Minnesota, California, or San Diego.
- Enter “free computer” in the search box and press enter.
- Browse the results and see if anyone is offering their computer for free.
- Contact the seller through email or phone and arrange a meeting place to pick up the computer.
- Be careful when meeting strangers online and always bring someone with you or meet in a public place.
- Check the condition of the computer before taking it home and make sure it works properly.
Jump ON IT Program
If you don’t get a free computer or laptop from the ONIT foundation then you can purchase at a low cost from this program. This is the program where there is a full guarantee of getting computers at affordable prices. You can start a layaway plan with $15 per week to purchase high-quality Microsoft refurbished computers which start at $99 only.
Computers, Laptops, and other gadgets for students , senior citizens, military, and other government entities are provide additional discounts with a thirty days warranty.
PCs for People
PCs for People is a great organization that takes old computers, fixes them up, and gives them to people who need them. And they’re officially recognized by Microsoft as a refurbisher, so you know they’re doing things right. Plus, they give a three-month guarantee on all the hardware.
If you’re looking to get a free or discounted computer, there are a couple of things you’ll need to have. Your income needs to be below a certain level, or you need to be enrolled in a government assistance program like Head Start or Medicaid. It’s easy to apply, all you need is a photo ID and a document that proves your eligibility, like a statement from one of those programs. You can find PCs for People stores in several states like Colorado, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio, and computers are available at different price ranges from $0 to $150.
Click here to visit PCs for People.
Alliance for Technology Refurbishing and Reuse
The Alliance for Technology Refurbishing & Reuse (AFTRR) is an organization whose main goal is to help non-profit groups that refurbish and reuse technology so that they can provide low-cost or even free technology to people who need it. They have an interactive map on their website where you can put in your location and find out about non-profit refurbishers and recyclers near you. There are more than 80 listings across the U.S. and Canada, I found five in my area! It’s a great resource for anyone looking for affordable technology options.
It’s important to note that these organizations may not always give away laptops for free, but they may have deeply discounted laptops available for purchase. These organizations are sponsored by the National Cristina Foundation, a private foundation that works to promote digital inclusion by raising awareness about the benefits of technology reuse. It’s a great way to get affordable technology while also supporting a good cause.
World Computer Exchange
This is an organization that sells computers and technology items at low prices to various organisations mostly in developing countries. It also accepts donations of laptops and other technology items.
You just need to fill the online forms provided by the world computer exchange to request your computers. You can fill this form only when your organisation is situated in developing countries. You will be charged shipping costs and the cost of your requested computers.
Many senior citizens run their businesses in developing countries. So a platform such as WCE helped them a lot to purchase computers under their budgets.
It is a type of non-profit movement, started by lots of people who receive and give their stuff for free in their cities and neighborhoods.
The main goal of this movement is to build community and keep stuff out of landfills.
If you want to get free computers or laptops then you will need to roam around your city to find such groups near you so that you can join them and wait for someone to offer senior citizens computers. Or if you are bold enough then you ask simply to offer someone if they have such stuff.
Also Read: Best SmartWatches under $100
Free computers for seniors are made available by various nonprofit agencies and government organizations. But it is not always possible to get free computers for seniors. So in such a case, you should try to get them at a low cost. There are some ways using which senior citizens can get low-cost computers. These are as follows:
Financial Assistance or Discounts that seniors can apply to get Computers and Internet Services at Low cost
There are certain financial assistance or discounts that seniors can apply that can help them to get computers and internet services at low cost:
- Lifeline Program: This is a federal program that provides a monthly subsidy of $9.25 for eligible low-income households to purchase phone or internet service. Seniors can apply for this program through their phone or internet provider or through the National Verifier website.
- ConnectHomeUSA: This is a national movement led by EveryoneOn that aims to bridge the digital divide for public housing residents. It partners with local public housing agencies, internet service providers, nonprofit organizations, and other stakeholders to provide affordable internet service, devices, and digital literacy training for low-income families. Seniors who live in public housing can contact their local public housing agency to find out if they are eligible for this program.
- EveryoneOn: This is a nonprofit organization that works to create social and economic opportunities and connects low-income families to affordable internet services and laptops or computers. It offers a variety of programs and resources for seniors, such as low-cost internet plans starting at $10 per month, refurbished computers starting at $150, free online courses on digital skills, and a locator tool to find local computer classes and public Wi-Fi spots. Seniors can visit the EveryoneOn website to find out more about these programs and resources.
- Refurbished Computers And Laptops: These are devices that have been returned to the manufacturer or seller for various reasons, such as defects, damages, or customer dissatisfaction. These devices are then repaired, tested, and certified to ensure that they meet the original specifications and performance standards. Refurbished computers and laptops are usually sold at a lower price than new ones, which makes them a great option for senior citizens who want to get laptops and computers at a low cost.
- Dell Advantage Loyalty Program: This is a program offered by Dell that rewards customers for purchasing Dell products. It offers 3% back in rewards on all purchases, free expedited delivery on eligible items, exclusive offers and discounts on select products, and access to financing options with no interest if paid in full within 6 or 12 months. Seniors who want to buy a Dell computer can join this program for free by creating an account on the Dell website.
It is very important to keep up with the times and stay connected online as technology is transforming our society continuously. But you don’t need to bust your money in doing so because there are numerous ways to get free computers and laptops or at low prices.
You just need to check out the update of the above-mentioned organization regularly and fill out the application form which will help you get free computers for seniors.
Attention Please: Shop for the best-refurbished laptops and computers on Amazon. Shop now to get Amazing Discounts
Frequently asked questions
Can Senior Citizens get Free Computers?
Yes, senior citizens can get free or low-cost computers if they can’t afford the usual retail prices.
You should check to the places mentioned in the article where you can find free computers and laptops for senior citizens.
What are free computers for seniors?
Free computers for seniors are computers that are donated, refurbished, or subsidized by various sources, such as corporate-sponsored programs, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, or computer recycling enterprises. These sources aim to help seniors access technology and bridge the digital divide.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of free computers for seniors?
The benefits of free computers for seniors are that they can help you save money and afford a new computer that meets your needs and preferences. They can also help you access high-speed internet service that enables you to stay connected, informed, and entertained online. They can also help you improve your digital literacy and skills by providing access to online resources, education, and training.
The drawbacks of free computers for seniors are that they may have strict eligibility criteria that limit who can apply and benefit from them. They may also have a complex application process that requires you to provide proof of income, identity, address, etc. They may also have a limited amount or duration that may not cover the full cost of a computer or internet service. They may also have quality, reliability, warranty, and availability issues depending on the source and type of free computers.
Also Read: Is Amazon Pay Later Safe?
Is Computer With Causes legitimate?
Yes, Computers with Causes is a legitimate nonprofit organization that donates refurbished computers to people and groups in need. They are a 501c3 registered charity, which means that your donation is tax-deductible. They have received positive reviews from donors and recipients alike, and they have been featured in various media outlets.