No, Amazon doesn’t sell fake products. In rare cases, it may be possible that some fake or counterfeit products may be offered for sale on Amazon by any third-party sellers.
Amazon is one the renowned e-commerce sites, so committed to sell authentic products to its customers in India and around the world. To ensure this, the company has various policies in place to prevent the sale of fake or counterfeit products on its platform. Whenever any fake product is detected they work promptly to quickly remove such product.
In case you feel or suspect that the product that you have purchased is fake, you should contact Amazon’s customer service team immediately for assistance. To resolve your issue Amazon may ask you to provide information about the product, such as its condition, packaging, and any other details related to the product. Amazon may ask you to return the product to carry out further investigation.
After the investigation, if it is found that the product delivered to you is fake or counterfeit. Then Amazon will take appropriate action, which includes removing the product from the site, processing your refund and may also delist the seller.
Now it might be coming to your mind that what are the ways through which you can determine, whether the product that you are going to purchase is original or not?
How to spot fake products on Amazon?
There are a few things you can do to spot fake products on Amazon.
Check the seller’s information
One of the first things you should do when browsing a product on Amazon is to check the seller information. The seller information can tell you a lot about the credibility and reliability of the seller and the product. You should look at the following aspects of the seller information:
- Seller name: The seller name should be clear and relevant to the product or brand. Avoid sellers with generic, vague, or random names that do not match the product or brand.
- Seller rating: The seller rating should be high and consistent with the number and quality of feedback from previous customers. Avoid sellers with low ratings or ratings that are based on few or old feedbacks.
- Seller feedback: The seller feedback should be positive and specific to the product or brand. Avoid sellers with negative, generic, or irrelevant feedbacks that do not address the product or brand.
- Seller location: The seller location should be reasonable and compatible with the product or brand. Avoid sellers that are located in foreign countries or regions that are known for producing fake or counterfeit products.
- Seller products: The seller products should be diverse and relevant to the product or brand. Avoid sellers that sell only one type of product or products that are unrelated or incompatible with the product or brand.
Check the product description and photos
Another thing you should do when browsing a product on Amazon is to check the product description and photos. The product description and photos can give you a lot of information about the features and quality of the product. You should look for the following aspects of the product description and photos:
- Product Description: The product description should be clear and accurate, providing detailed and relevant information about the product’s specifications, functions, benefits, and limitations. Avoid products with confusing, garbled, or misleading descriptions that do not match the product’s features or quality.
- Product photos: The product photos should be clear and accurate, showing the actual appearance and condition of the product from different angles and perspectives. Avoid products with low-quality, inaccurate, or copied photos that do not match the product’s description or reality.
Check the product reviews and ratings
Another thing you should do when browsing a product on Amazon is to check the product reviews and ratings. The product reviews and ratings can give you a lot of feedback from other customers who have bought and used the product. You should look for the following aspects of the product reviews and ratings:
- Product reviews: The product reviews should be honest and detailed, providing context and evidence for the product’s quality and performance. Look for reviews that mention specific aspects of the product such as its design, functionality, durability, compatibility, etc. Avoid products with too many positive or negative reviews, fake or paid reviews, or reviews that are brief, vague, or irrelevant.
- Product ratings: The product ratings should be high and consistent with the number and quality of reviews from previous customers. Look for ratings that reflect the overall satisfaction and experience of customers with the product. Avoid products with low ratings or ratings that are based on few or old reviews.
Check the product price and availability
Another thing you should do when browsing a product on Amazon is to check the product price and availability. The product price and availability can give you a lot of clues about the demand and supply of the product. You should look for the following aspects of the product price and availability:
- Product price: The product price should be realistic and competitive, reflecting the value and quality of the product. Look for prices that are comparable to similar products from other sellers or brands. Avoid products that are too cheap or too expensive, as they may indicate that they are fake, counterfeit, or overpriced.
- Product availability: The product availability should be reasonable and variable, reflecting the popularity and scarcity of the product. Look for products that have a moderate amount of stock and delivery time.
Check the product packaging and delivery
The last thing you should do when receiving a product from Amazon is to check the product packaging and delivery. The product packaging and delivery can give you a lot of assurance and protection for the product. You should look for the following aspects of the product packaging and delivery:
- Product packaging: The product packaging should be authentic and secure, displaying the product’s name, logo, barcode, and other identifiers. Look for packaging that matches the product’s description and photos, and that has no signs of damage, opening, or tampering. Avoid products that come in damaged, opened, or generic packaging, or that have missing or altered identifiers.
- Product delivery: The product delivery should be fast and reliable, coming from the seller’s location or a reputable courier service. Look for delivery that matches the seller’s estimated delivery time and tracking information. Avoid products that are delivered from unknown or distant locations, or that have no tracking information or confirmation.
Only for you: In the end, I have also shared my opinion and experience of ordering products on Amazon. So don’t miss to check that out.
Does Amazon refund fake products?
Yes, after carrying out a proper investigation Amazon does refund the fake products. In case you have received any fake product from Amazon, then report it immediately by contacting the customer support. There you can also request them to refund your money.
To protect the interest of the customers Amazon has policies in place to safeguard them from receiving fake products. After carrying out their investigation if they find that the product delivered to you is fake. Then they typically offer a full refund to you. If you have any evidence that can prove that the product you received is fake. Present them in front of the customer support which will be helpful in supporting your claim and getting a refund.
In some situations, you often see messages in social media that claim to be Amazon and offer you products at very cheap prices. But all such claims and websites are fake. But the question is how can you check a fake Amazon website? Now you don’t need to worry about this. I have covered this for you in the section given below.
How can you tell a fake Amazon website?
There are a few things you can do to identify a fake Amazon website:
Check the URL
The original URL of the Amazon website should always begin with “https://www.amazon.com“. Match the spelling carefully and be cautious with the websites with URLs that do not start in the same pattern, as they may be attempting to imitate Amazon.
This is the most appropriate method to identify the true Amazon website. After ensuring that the URL is perfectly correct you can check other things as well. But they are not so important. You can ignore them too.
Look for the Amazon logo
You all are familiar with the logo of Amazon. If not, I am including it below for you. If any website doesn’t have an Amazon logo on it then the website is a fake Amazon website.
Check for security indicators
It is one of the general rules of checking a legitimate website. All legitimate and real websites use SSL. If you don’t know about SSL then let me make it simple for you. If a lock symbol is appearing before the url and the starting of the url contains “https” instead of “http”. Then the site is considered as a secured site. So if you are putting any sensitive information on any site. First check that the site is legitimate and cross check it using this rule.
Watch out from super cheap deals
If a deal seems too good to be true, it is probable that the site is fake and trying to do fraud with you. Be especially cautious of those products that are significantly cheaper than what is offered on Amazon’s official website.
Check the reviews
The actual and real Amazon website has a large number of reviews from actual customers. If the website you are on has few or fake-sounding reviews, it may be a fake site.
Contact Amazon directly
If you are unsure whether a website is original or not, then you can verify its authenticity by contacting Amazon. By visiting this page you can get the contact information of Amazon customer support.
Conclusion: Do Amazon Sell Fake Products?
Now you can easily identify fake products on Amazon. If I share my own shopping experience with Amazon then it has been quite good. I have always received genuine products. And they have an excellent support team that helps you if you face any problem. So according to me you can consider buying products on Amazon. But keep the above suggestions and measures in mind to have a happy buying experience.
If you find it helpful then share it with your loved one so that they can also know how they can save themselves from buying fake online products. Also if you have any query then do let me know in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Amazon have fake reviews?
Most of the reviews on Amazon are not fake. But it has been noted that in some rare cases some products have fake reviews.
If you notice that there are misspellings in any review or the review is too positive or too negative, then the reviews may be fake. Generally if a product has too many reviews including the positive, negative and neutral ones then there is a huge possibility that the reviews are true.
Are all Amazon sellers trusted?
No, not all Amazon sellers are trusted. Amazon takes restrictive measures to ensure that all sellers are genuine.
But it may be possible that some sellers are fake. You can easily spot a fake seller by reading above.
Does Amazon sell fake shampoo?
It is possible that some of Shampoo on Amazon may be fake. But you can avoid buying a fake shampoo by buying it from a trusted seller or brand.
Does Amazon sell fake clothes?
It is possible that some sellers on Amazon may sell fake clothes. But you can save yourself from this by buying from a trusted seller and brand.