In today’s competitive world of blogging, the question becomes pretty obvious: is tech blogging profitable in 2023? Then the simple answer to this is: Yes, a tech blog is profitable. But you should keep in mind some of the important things and factors if you want to start a tech blog.
See, technology is changing very rapidly. So there is lots of new emerging technology. There are many people who love to read about such technologies. So by making a tech blog you can earn a good amount of money.
Now the next question that might be coming to your mind is.
How Much Money Can You Make from Your Tech Blog?
The amount of money you can make from your tech blog depends on various factors, such as:
- The monetization methods you use and how well you implement them.
- The amount of traffic your blog receives and the quality of that traffic.
- The niche and topic of your blog and how competitive and profitable it is.
- The value and uniqueness of your content and how well it engages your audience.
There is no fixed or guaranteed income that you can expect from your tech blog. However, some successful tech bloggers have reported earning anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per month from their blogs. For example, Adam Enfroy’s blog brings in around 332,854 pageviews in a month. With such traffic, he can generate $101,814 simply from people viewing the ads on his blog, clicking an affiliate link, or purchasing his digital products.
Of course, these are exceptional cases and not everyone can achieve such results. But they do show that it is possible to make a decent income from your tech blog if you work hard and smart.
If you are beginner then you can’t make money from the first month. You will have to invest your time in learning and implementing the right strategies that will help you to succeed in tech blogging.
As a beginner you can make a decent amount of money from tech blogging if you work hard. But can it really be profitable for you? If it is, then what are the things that you should keep in mind? Read the article completely to get the answer of all your questions❓
Before knowing the method to start a profitable tech blog. Let’s first see some tech blogs that are highly successful and profitable.
5 Profitable Tech Blogs and How They Make Money
For your reference, I am sharing 5 tech blogs that are highly profitable. You can visit these blogs and analyze them which will help you to create your own profitable tech blog.
- Engadget: Engadget is a tech blog that covers news, reviews, features, and videos about the latest technologies and products. It was founded by Peter Rojas in 2004 and later sold to AOL. It attracts a broad audience of both consumers and professionals interested in gadgets, gaming, entertainment, science, and more. Engadget makes money from ads, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, events, and podcasts. It ranks as the second most popular tech blog according to Detailed.com.
- VentureBeat: VentureBeat is a tech blog that focuses on innovation and transformation in the tech industry. It was founded by Matt Marshall in 2006 and later acquired by IDG. It covers topics such as artificial intelligence, cloud computing, gaming, blockchain, and more. VentureBeat makes money from ads, sponsored posts, events, research reports, newsletters, and podcasts. It ranks as the third most popular tech blog according to Detailed.com.
- Mashable: Mashable is a tech blog that also features articles on entertainment, culture, social media, and more. It was founded by Pete Cashmore in 2005 and later sold to Ziff Davis. It covers topics such as gadgets, apps, software, online trends, viral stories, and more. Mashable makes money from ads, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, e-commerce, events, and podcasts. It ranks as the seventh most popular tech blog according to Detailed.com.
- TechCrunch: TechCrunch is a tech blog that covers news and analysis on startups, venture capital, technology trends, and more. It was founded by Michael Arrington in 2005 and later sold to AOL. It covers topics such as e-commerce, fintech, biotech, edtech, healthtech, and more. TechCrunch makes money from ads, sponsored posts, events, research reports, newsletters, and podcasts. It ranks as the eighth most popular tech blog according to Detailed.com.
- BloggingX: BloggingX is a tech blog that teaches people how to start and grow profitable blogs in various niches. It was founded by Akshay Hallur in 2018. It covers topics such as blogging tips, SEO strategies, content marketing tactics, affiliate marketing techniques, and more. BloggingX makes money from ads, sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, courses, coaching services.
After knowing about some top tech blogs now let’s quickly jump to the topic that how you can start a tech blog that will actually make money?
How to start a tech blog?
But how do you start a tech blog in 2023? What are the steps you need to take to create a successful and profitable tech blog? So here are the simple steps by following which you can create a tech profitable blog:
- Step 1: Choose a micro-niche and a type of tech blog
- Step 2: Pick a domain name and a hosting provider
- Step 3: Build your tech blog with WordPress and Elementor
- Step 4: Write your first tech blog post
- Step 5: Outsource tech content or write it yourself.
Choose a micro-niche and a type of tech blog
The first step to start a tech blog in 2023 is to choose a micro-niche and a type of tech blog. A micro-niche is a specific segment of a larger market that has its own characteristics, needs, and preferences. A type of tech blog is the format or style of your content that suits your micro-niche and your goals.
Choosing a micro-niche and a type of tech blog is important because it will help you:
- Narrow down your focus and target a specific audience that is interested in your content
- Stand out from the competition and differentiate yourself from other tech blogs
- Create relevant and valuable content that meets the needs and expectations of your audience
- Establish your authority and credibility as a tech blogger
There are many micro-niches within the tech industry that you can choose from, such as gaming, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, blockchain, cloud computing, etc. You can also combine two or more micro-niches to create your own unique angle or perspective.
For example, you can start a tech blog about:
- Gaming laptops and accessories
- Cybersecurity tips and tools for small businesses
- Artificial intelligence applications and trends in education
- Blockchain development and tutorials for beginners
- Cloud computing services and reviews for freelancers
Once you choose your micro-niche, you need to decide on the type of tech blog that you want to start. There are many types of tech blogs that you can choose from, such as guides, surveys, lists, reviews, news, etc.
For example, you can start a tech blog that:
- Provides step-by-step guides on how to use or fix various tech products or software
- Conducts surveys or polls on different tech topics or issues and analyzes the results
- Creates lists of the best or worst tech products, software, apps, websites, etc.
- Reviews tech products or software and gives honest opinions and ratings
- Covers the latest news and updates on the tech industry or specific micro-niches
You can also mix and match different types of content to create variety and interest for your readers. The key is to choose the type of content that suits your micro-niche, your audience, and your goals.
Pick a domain name and a hosting provider
The second step to start a tech blog in 2023 is to pick a domain name and a hosting provider. A domain name is the address of your website on the internet. A hosting provider is a service that stores your website files on its servers and makes them accessible to your visitors.
Picking a domain name and a hosting provider is important because it will affect:
- The visibility and memorability of your website on the internet
The speed and performance of your website for your visitors
- he security and reliability of your website for your visitors
- The cost and flexibility of your website for yourself
To pick a domain name for your tech blog, you need to consider the following factors:
- It should be relevant to your micro-niche and type of tech blog
- It should be unique and catchy to stand out from other tech blogs
- It should be short and easy to remember and spell
- It should have a .com extension if possible, as it is the most popular and trusted one
You can use tools like Namecheap or GoDaddy to check the availability and price of your desired domain name. You can also use tools like Lean Domain Search or NameMesh to generate domain name ideas based on your keywords.
To pick a hosting provider for your tech blog, you need to consider the following factors:
- It should offer enough storage space and bandwidth for your website files and traffic
- It should have fast loading speed and uptime for your website performance
- It should have good customer support and technical assistance for your website issues
- It should have affordable and flexible pricing plans for your website budget
You can use tools like HostingFacts or HostAdvice to compare and review different hosting providers based on these factors. You can also use tools like Pingdom or GTmetrix to test the speed and performance of different hosting providers.
Some of the most popular and recommended hosting providers for tech blogs are:
- Bluehost: One of the largest and most reputable hosting providers in the world, offering a free domain name, SSL certificate, WordPress installation, and 24/7 support for as low as $2.95 per month.
- Hostinger: One of the cheapest and fastest hosting providers in the world, offering a free domain name, SSL certificate, WordPress installation, and 24/7 support for as low as $0.99 per month.
- SiteGround: One of the best and most reliable hosting providers in the world, offering a free domain name, SSL certificate, WordPress installation, and 24/7 support for as low as $6.99 per month.
Once you pick your domain name and hosting provider, you need to register your domain name and sign up for your hosting plan. You will then receive an email with instructions on how to access your hosting account and set up your website.
Build your tech blog with WordPress
The third step to start a tech blog in 2023 is to build your tech blog with WordPress. WordPress is the most popular and powerful platform for creating websites.
Building your tech blog with WordPress is important because it will help you:
- Create a professional and attractive website without coding or hiring a developer
- Customize your website with thousands of themes and plugins to suit your micro-niche and type of tech blog
- Manage your website with an easy-to-use dashboard and editor
- Update your website with new content and features easily and quickly
To build your tech blog with WordPress you need to follow these steps:
- Install WordPress on your hosting account. You can do this manually by downloading WordPress from wordpress.org and uploading it to your hosting server via FTP. Or you can do this automatically by using the one-click WordPress installation feature that most hosting providers offer.
- Choose a theme for your tech blog. You can do this by going to Appearance > Themes in your WordPress dashboard and browsing through the thousands of free or premium themes available. Or you can use one of the many templates that Elementor offers for different types of websites.
- Optimize your content for SEO: To increase your blog’s visibility, you need to optimize your content for search engines. Use relevant keywords, meta tags, and descriptions to help search engines understand the content of your blog.
Write your first tech blog post
The fourth step to start a tech blog in 2023 is to write your first tech blog post. A tech blog post is a piece of content that covers a specific topic or issue related to your micro-niche and type of tech blog.
Writing your first tech blog post is important because it will help you:
- Establish your presence and credibility as a tech blogger
- Attract and engage your target audience with valuable and relevant information
- Optimize your website for search engines and social media with keywords and metadata
- Generate traffic and leads for your website with calls to action and links
To write your first tech blog post, you need to follow these steps:
- Choose a topic for your tech blog post. You can do this by brainstorming ideas based on your micro-niche, your type of tech blog, your audience’s needs and interests, your goals and objectives, etc. You can also use tools like AnswerThePublic or BuzzSumo to find popular or trending topics in your niche.
- Write a catchy headline for your tech blog post. You can do this by using formulas or templates that capture attention, curiosity, or emotion. You can also use tools like CoSchedule Headline Analyzer or Sharethrough Headline Analyzer to test and improve your headlines.
- Structure your content for your tech blog post. You can do this by using an outline or a framework that organizes your content into sections and sub-sections. You can also use tools like Hemingway Editor or Grammarly to check and improve your writing.
- Use images and videos for your tech blog post. You can do this by adding relevant and high-quality images and videos that illustrate, explain, or enhance your content. You can also use tools like Canva or Lumen5 to create or edit images and videos.
- Optimize your tech blog post for SEO and social media. You can do this by using keywords, metadata, links, etc. that help search engines and social media platforms understand and rank your content. You can also use tools like Yoast SEO or Rank Math to optimize your tech blog post.
- Add a call to action and links for your tech blog post. You can do this by adding buttons, forms, banners, etc. that invite your readers to take a specific action, such as subscribing, commenting, sharing, buying, etc. You can also add links to other pages or posts on your website or external sources that provide more information or value to your readers.
Outsource tech content or write it yourself
The fifth and final step to start a tech blog in 2023 is to outsource tech content or write it yourself. Outsourcing tech content means hiring someone else to write it for you. Writing it yourself means doing it on your own.
Outsourcing tech content or writing it yourself is important because it will affect:
- The quality and quantity of your content
- The cost and time of your content creation
- The voice and tone of your content
- The ownership and control of your content
To decide whether to outsource tech content or write it yourself, you need to consider the following factors:
- Your skills and knowledge: Do you have the skills and knowledge to write high-quality and engaging tech content? Or do you need someone who has more expertise and experience in your niche?
- Your budget and resources: Do you have the budget and resources to hire a professional tech writer? Or do you prefer to save money and use free or low-cost tools and resources?
- Your goals and objectives: Do you have specific goals and objectives for your content? Or are you flexible and open to different outcomes?
- Your preferences and style: Do you have a preference and style for your content? Or are you willing to adapt and adjust to different styles?
All the above given steps of starting a tech might feel confusing to you in the beginning. But you don’t need to afraid. They are very simple to follow. To make your work more simple, I am attaching a video tutorial on this. click here to view that video tutorial.
What are the ways to make money from a tech blog?
There are many ways to monetize your tech blog, but not all of them may work for you or suit your niche and goals. Here are some of the most common and effective ways to make money from your tech blog:
This is one of the easiest ways to make money from your tech blog. You can use services like Google Adsense , Media.net , or Ezoic to display ads on your blog and earn money every time someone clicks on them or views them. The amount of money you can make depends on factors like the number of visitors, the type of ads, the location of the visitors, etc.
The advantages of this method are that it is simple to set up and does not require much maintenance or interaction with advertisers. However, the disadvantages are that it can affect the user experience and design of your blog, lower the trust and credibility of your content, and depend on the performance of the ad network.
This is one of the most popular and lucrative ways to make money from your tech blog. Affiliate marketing is when you promote other people’s or companies’ products or services on your blog and earn a commission every time someone makes a purchase through your referral link. You can join affiliate programs like Amazon Associates , ShareASale , or CJ Affiliate and find products or services that are relevant to your niche and audience. You can then write reviews, comparisons, tutorials, etc., about them and include your affiliate links in your content.
The advantages of this method are that it is flexible and scalable, as you can choose from a wide range of products or services to promote and earn passive income from them. It also allows you to provide value to your audience by recommending them solutions that you have tried and trust. However, the disadvantages are that it can be competitive and challenging, as you need to convince your readers to click on your links and buy the products or services. It also requires disclosure and compliance with the affiliate program’s terms and conditions.
This is when you get paid by a brand or company to write a post that features their products or services or mentions them in some way. For example, you can write a sponsored review of a new gadget or software that they have launched or a sponsored guide on how to use their product or service. You can find sponsored opportunities by reaching out to brands directly or using platforms like PayPerPost , IZEA , or FameBit .
The advantages of this method are that it can be profitable and rewarding, as you can charge a high fee for your sponsored posts and build relationships with brands in your niche. It also allows you to create original and engaging content for your audience that showcases your expertise and authority. However, the disadvantages are that it can be time-consuming and demanding, as you need to negotiate with brands, follow their guidelines, and meet their deadlines. It also requires disclosure and honesty to maintain the trust and loyalty of your audience.
This is when you create exclusive content or features for your blog that only paying members can access. For example, you can create premium courses, tutorials, guides, ebooks, podcasts, videos, etc., that teach your audience something valuable or solve their problems. You can then charge a monthly or yearly fee for accessing this content or features. You can use tools like MemberPress , Restrict Content Pro , or Patreon to create and manage your membership site.
The advantages of this method are that it can be stable and recurring, as you can generate consistent income from your loyal members who pay you regularly. It also allows you to build a strong community of fans who support you and appreciate your work. However, the disadvantages are that it can be difficult and demanding, as you need to create high-quality and original content or features that justify the membership fee. You also need to maintain and update your content or features regularly to keep your members satisfied and engaged.
Sell Your Own Product/Service
This is when you create and sell your own product or service on your tech blog. For example, you can create an ebook, a course, a software, a plugin, a theme, a gadget, etc., that is related to your niche and audience. You can then sell it on your blog using tools like WooCommerce , Easy Digital Downloads , or Gumroad . Selling your own product or service can be very profitable as you get to keep 100% of the revenue and have full control over the quality and delivery of the product or service.
The advantages of this method are that it can be rewarding and scalable, as you can create something that you are proud of and that solves a problem or meets a need in the market. It also allows you to build your brand and reputation as an expert and authority in your niche. However, the disadvantages are that it can be challenging and risky, as you need to invest a lot of time, money, and effort into creating, marketing, and selling your product or service. You also need to deal with customer service, refunds, complaints, etc.
These are the most common ways. I am not explaining all the things deeply as the article will become too lengthy. I am just sharing a brief overview to you all.
You can learn more about these things in detail from Google and YouTube where you can find dedicated articles and videos in each of the above topics.
But if you want to learn from me then you don’t need to go anywhere. Just comment below and I am there to help you.
Conclusion: Is Tech Blogging Profitable?
Now you are very well aware that tech blogging is profitable and many bloggers are earning a lot of money from this. So now you can make an informed decision on whether you should start a tech blog or not.
Frequently asked questions
Is tech blogging profitable for beginners?
Yes, tech blogging is profitable for beginners too. But if you are new to blogging then you need to be a little cautious and aware. Why am I saying so?
Most of the people who start blogging don’t invest their time in learning about the basics of blogging. So most people fail and they spread the rumors that it’s very hard to make money from blogging.
So in order to make money, focus on learning. I had faced a similar problem in the beginning. So I have designed a step by step process for those who want to start blogging.
If you want to know that then all you need to do is comment below. I will share everything that has made me a successful blogger.
Is tech blogging easy?
Yes, tech blogging is easy but you should have keen interest in technology. And you should have the patience and dedication to learn and work.
Is a tech blog a good career?
Yes, tech blogging can be a good career option for you. Before choosing this as your career you should learn and research about this in detail.
Should I start a tech blog?
Yes, you should start a tech blog if technology fascinates you and if you want to add value in the life of others through your knowledge of technology.