There are various ways in which blogging can be beneficial for students. In this article I will present an in depth analysis of the topic- how is blogging beneficial for students?
For some of you the term blogging may be a new term. So first let me explain about blogging in brief.
- 1 What is blogging?
- 2 What are the benefits of blogging for students?
- 3 How students can start a blog?
- 4 Conclusion
What is blogging?
The act of making and writing a blog is called blogging. But still some may ask- What is a blog?
So in simple words, a blog is just like an internet diary. As people write about their experience, learning and activities in their dairies. Similarly through blogs people share knowledge, learning and other valuable information so that others can get benefitted from their content.
So basically it’s about sharing your ideas and knowledge on the internet (by building a blog) which will help others.
Now you might have several questions in your mind like:
- What are the benefits of blogging for students?
- How students can start a blog?
- What things students can share through blogging?
And there could be many other questions. But if you think that I am missing any valuable question in the above list then comment below and I will add that question in my blog.
Now let’s cover each question one by one.
What are the benefits of blogging for students?
I am a student and I am currently working on two blogs. So in this answer I will include my opinions as well that will give you a better perception.
Blogging increases your knowledge
When you start to blog about a particular niche ( Niche is simply categories in which you want to blog. Eg Technology, business, Finance, Health etc) then your knowledge in that niche grows with time.
To simplify this let us consider my example. I write blogs on my website about technology as I am very much interested in this. So I read a lot of tech gadgets and latest discoveries in the field of tech. So it helps me to increase my knowledge.
I also feel one added advantage because of this. Since I am a tech blogger, I get to know the things through which I can simplify my life. Be it different tools and softwares that help me to do my assignments or helping my friends whenever they get difficulty in using their smartphones. It excites me a lot.
There are various other technologies and softwares that I use to simplify my life. If you are interested to know about them then let me know in the comments below.
So the point which I want to explain is that if you start your own blog then you get to learn a lot. And your learning will help you in the future.
Blogging Can Boost Students’ Confidence
Many students struggle with low self-esteem and anxiety when it comes to speaking or writing in public. They may feel nervous, embarrassed, or insecure about their abilities, opinions, or mistakes. This can affect their academic performance and their personal growth. Blogging can be a powerful tool to help students overcome their fear of public speaking and writing. Blogging can boost students’ confidence in several ways:
- Blogging allows students to choose their own topics, formats, and styles of writing. This gives them a sense of autonomy and ownership over their work. They can write about things that interest them, that they are knowledgeable about, or that they want to learn more about.
- Blogging provides students with an authentic audience and feedback. Students can share their work with their classmates, teachers, parents, friends, or even strangers online. They can receive comments, questions, compliments, or constructive criticism from their readers. This can help them improve their writing skills, learn from different perspectives, and feel valued and appreciated for their work.
- Blogging helps students develop their voice and identity. Students can express their thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and experiences in their own words. They can showcase their personality, creativity, and uniqueness through their writing. They can also connect with other bloggers who share similar interests, passions, or goals.
- Blogging encourages students to practice and improve their writing regularly. Students can write as often as they want, at their own pace and convenience. They can experiment with different genres, techniques, and strategies of writing. They can also revise and edit their work as much as they need. The more they write, the more confident they become in their writing abilities.
Blogging can be a fun and rewarding activity for students of all ages and levels. It can help them overcome their fear of public speaking and writing by boosting their confidence in themselves and their work.
Blogging as a career
Yes it’s true that many people are pursuing blogging as a full-time career. You can google this and you can get a long list of people who are full time bloggers. Now you might be thinking how much they are earning from this?
Bloggers make a decent amount of money. If you will ask me for an average figure that you can earn. Then I feel that one can earn more than $1,000 a month, if you are serious enough. There is no upper limit to it.
So it can be considered as a good career option. But before choosing it as your career option. Do your own research.
It would be good if you start blogging as a side hustle. As a student you can dedicate 1 to 2 hours of your day to blogging. Do it for one year. If you find it interesting and if you start making some money from it. Then you should think of taking it as a full-time career option.
Blogging Can Support Students’ Academic Achievements
Blogging can be a great way for students to enhance their learning and academic performance. Blogging can support students’ academic achievements by providing them with a digital portfolio, a learning journal, and a source of ideas for schoolwork.
- A digital portfolio is a collection of students’ work that showcases their skills, knowledge, and achievements. Students can use their blogs to display their projects, assignments, essays, presentations, videos, podcasts, or any other artefacts they create. They can also use their blogs to reflect on their learning process, goals, and outcomes. A digital portfolio can help students demonstrate their learning progress, strengths, and areas for improvement. It can also help them prepare for college applications or future careers.
- A learning journal is a record of students’ thoughts, questions, discoveries, and insights related to their learning. Students can use their blogs to write about what they learn in class, what they find interesting or challenging, what they want to know more about, or what they have learned from other sources. A learning journal can help students deepen their understanding of the subject matter, develop their critical thinking skills, and monitor their own learning. It can also help them communicate their learning to others and receive feedback.
- A source of ideas for schoolwork is a pool of inspiration and information that students can draw from for their academic tasks. Students can use their blogs to explore different topics, genres, and formats of writing. They can also use their blogs to read and comment on other blogs that relate to their interests or curriculum. A source of ideas for schoolwork can help students generate original and creative ideas for their schoolwork. It can also help them expand their knowledge and perspective on various issues.
Blogging can be a valuable activity for students of all ages and levels. It can help them support their academic achievements by providing them with a digital portfolio, a learning journal, and a source of ideas for schoolwork.
Blogging as a part-time work
You can consider blogging as an opportunity to generate pocket money for yourself. In college, you get lots of extra time. So you can do blogging at that time.
This can help you get extra money to cover your fancy expenses. If you really work with dedication then you can also pay your college fee as well.
At the time when I am writing this article I am earning Rs. 5000 (working on a part time basis) a month by just working for 5-8 days a month. I will update this in future as my earning increases.
Blogging Can Foster Students’ Collaboration
Blogging can be a useful tool for students to collaborate with each other and with their teachers. Blogging can foster students’ collaboration by enabling them to work on group projects, peer review, and online discussions.
- Group projects are assignments that require students to work together as a team to complete a task or produce a product. Students can use their blogs to plan, organize, and manage their group projects. They can also use their blogs to share their work, give and receive feedback, and showcase their final results. Group projects can help students develop their teamwork, communication, and project management skills. They can also help them learn from each other and appreciate different perspectives and roles.
- Peer review is a process that involves students giving and receiving constructive criticism on each other’s work. Students can use their blogs to post their drafts, revisions, or final products. They can also use their blogs to comment on each other’s work, offer suggestions, praise strengths, and identify areas for improvement. Peer review can help students improve their writing skills, critical thinking skills, and self-evaluation skills. It can also help them build trust and rapport with their peers and learn from their mistakes and successes.
- Online discussions are conversations that take place on the internet using various platforms such as blogs, forums, or social media. Students can use their blogs to initiate, participate in, or moderate online discussions on topics related to their curriculum or interests. They can also use their blogs to respond to questions, share opinions, provide evidence, or ask for clarification. Online discussions can help students enhance their reading comprehension, oral expression, and listening skills. They can also help them engage in meaningful dialogue, respect different viewpoints, and expand their knowledge and understanding.
Blogging can be an effective way for students to collaborate with each other and with their teachers. Blogging can foster students’ collaboration by enabling them to work on group projects, peer review, and online discussions.
Blogging as personal branding
Your blog about a particular niche shows your knowledge about that field. So this can help you in seeking a job. You can include your blog name in your resume that will provide you an edge over other candidates.
So I suggest you start blogging from your college. Over a span of 2 to 3 years you will be able to put sufficient content on your blog.
Now you are aware of the advantages of blogging for you. But now the question arises- How can you start blogging?
How students can start a blog?
By following a few simple steps you can start your journey of blogging. There are some basic steps that you can follow:
Choose your niche
Select one niche in which you want to create a blog. It can be anything, for example technology, health, traveling, business, finance etc.
Choose one platform to start blogging
There are various platforms such as Blogger, WordPress etc in which you can start blogging. If you have no money to spend then you should opt for blogger. But if you can spend up to Rs. 3000 then definitely choose wordpress.
WordPress is the most popular and the best blogging platform. I am also using WordPress.
Choose a right domain name
Domain name is basically the url of the website. For my website it is digitalkuldeep.com which you can see in the above search bar.
Choose a hosting provider
Hosting is basically a server where all your media files of the website are stored. You need to purchase this too. I am using Hostinger as my web hosting provider.
Setup your blog
There are some basic setup you need to do to take your blog online. You don’t need to worry as they are very easy setups, and you don’t require any coding or technical knowledge for this.
There are many tutorials on YouTube that you can watch and can set up your blog easily.
Now you are all good to go, all you need to do is to publish articles on your website.
All these things might feel complicated for you in the beginning. But believe me they are easy to do. If you get stuck in any part then you can search it on Google or YouTube you will get a detailed guide.
Alternatively, you can ask from me as well through the comments or using the contact us form. I will reply to you with the best possible solution.
Now I hope that you are well aware of the fact that how blogging is beneficial for students. Also, I presented you with a brief overview of how you can start your blogging journey. If you still have any doubts or queries then feel free to ask me. I am also a student so I can help you in a better way as I have already gone through that phase.
Hey there! I’m Kuldeep Kumar, and tech is my jam. From the mind-blowing world of AI to the thrilling battlegrounds of cybersecurity, I love exploring every corner of this amazing world. Gadgets? I geek out over them. Hidden software tricks? Bring ’em on! I explain it all in clear, bite-sized chunks, laced with a touch of humor to keep things sparky. So, join me on this tech adventure, and let’s demystify the wonders of technology, one blog post at a time.