Blogging is one of the most popular and effective ways to share your thoughts, opinions, and expertise with the world. Whether you want to start a personal blog, a professional blog, or a niche blog, you need a platform that can help you create and manage your content easily and efficiently. One of the platforms that claim to do that is Blogger, a free and simple blogging service that lets you create your own blog in minutes.
But is Blogger really good for blogging? How does it compare to other platforms like WordPress, Medium, or Substack? What are the pros and cons of using Blogger for your blogging needs? In this article, we will try to answer these questions and more by analyzing the features, benefits, and drawbacks of Blogger as a blogging platform. By the end of this article, you should have a clear idea of whether the blogger is the right choice for you or not.
Is Blogger Good For Blogging?
Yes, Blogger is a good blogging platform. It is a free and popular blogging platform that allows you to create and manage your own blogs. But before choosing this for blogging you should consider certain factors which are given here.
Blogger is a good blogging platform for those who are new in the field of blogging and want to start a blog quickly and easily. The reason is it is very easy to set up and requires minimal technical knowledge. By watching a few tutorials on YouTube you can easily launch a blog on Blogger within a few hours. In case of any difficulty, you can ask me as well by commenting your doubt below.
Benefits of Blogger
Some of the benefits of using Blogger include:
Free blogging platform: Blogger is owned by Google, so it is free to use as Google is known to provide most of its services for free. So it is an ideal option for those who want to start a blog without having to invest in a hosting plan or domain.
Ease of use: You only need a Google account to start blogging on Blogger The interface of Blogger is simple and easy to use. The best thing is that even if you don’t have a laptop or desktop then you can use the Blogger app on your mobile to create and publish blogs. So the minimal requirement to start blogging in Blogger is just a smartphone.
Templates and customization options: Blogger offers a variety of templates you can use to enhance the look of your blog. Also, you can do some customization on widgets, gadgets, and layout templates. There are many free themes you can download from Google and use on your blog.
Integration with other Google tools: Since Blogger is a product of Google so it can easily be integrated with other Google tools such as AdSense and Analytics. Adsense allows you to monetize your blogs and Google Analytics helps to track your blog.
If you are new to blogging and if you are not familiar with these terms then you don’t need to worry. You can easily learn these things.
Limitation of Blogger
It’s true that Blogger offers you most of the things for free but it has certain limitations as well which you should know:
Limited control over the platform: Blogger is hosted by Google, which means that you do not get full control over your blogs. It offers limited features and options to manage your blogs.
Limited design flexibility: While Blogger does offer some customization options, they are very limited. They offer very little functionality compared to what is available on self-hosted platforms like WordPress.
Limited scalability: The blogs of Blogger can’t handle large amounts of visitors at a time. This makes it less suitable for more complex and high-traffic blogs.
So, if you are just getting started with blogging then you should choose Blogger. As it is free so there is no risk involved. And in case you feel that blogging is not for you then you can easily quit.
Is Blogger Good For SEO?
Blogger is only good for basic SEO. It is not good for advanced SEO. If you are a beginner and really serious about SEO then Blogger is not good for you. Instead of Blogger, you should use WordPress as your blogging platform.
When it comes to SEO, blogger has some limitations and drawbacks that may affect your blog’s ranking potential. Here are some of the pros and cons of using Blogger for SEO:
- Blogger is integrated with Google’s products and services, such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Adsense, and more. This means you can easily monitor your blog’s performance, traffic, keywords, revenue, and other metrics using these tools. You can also leverage Google’s features and algorithms to boost your blog’s visibility and authority.
- Blogger supports HTTPS encryption, which is a ranking factor for Google. HTTPS ensures that your blog’s data and communication are secure and protected from hackers and malicious attacks. You can enable HTTPS for your blogger blog for free by going to Settings > Basic > HTTPS Availability.
- Blogger allows you to use a custom domain name for your blog, which can improve your brand recognition and credibility. A custom domain name can also help you target specific keywords or niches that are relevant to your blog’s content. You can buy a domain name from any registrar and link it to your blogger blog by following the instructions here.
- Blogger has a fast loading speed, which is another ranking factor for Google. Loading speed affects user experience, bounce rate, conversion rate, and dwell time. Blogger’s servers are hosted by Google Cloud Platform, which ensures high performance and reliability. You can also optimize your blog’s loading speed by using responsive design, compressing images, minimizing scripts, and using caching plugins.
- Blogger has limited customization options for your blog’s design and functionality. Blogger’s templates and themes are outdated and not very responsive or mobile-friendly. Blogger’s widgets and plugins are also limited and not very SEO-friendly. For example, blogger does not have a built-in plugin for creating sitemaps or breadcrumbs, which are important for SEO. You have to manually create these elements or use third-party tools or codes.
- Blogger does not have a built-in option for adding meta tags or schema markup to your blog posts or pages. Meta tags are snippets of code that provide information about your blog’s content to search engines. Schema markup is a type of structured data that helps search engines understand the context and meaning of your blog’s content. Meta tags and schema markup can improve your blog’s click-through rate (CTR), ranking position, and appearance on search engine results pages (SERPs). You have to manually add these elements or use third-party tools or codes.
- Blogger does not have a built-in option for creating redirects or handling 404 errors on your blog. Redirects are instructions that tell search engines and users where to go when a URL has changed or moved. 404 errors are messages that indicate that a URL does not exist or cannot be found. Redirects and 404 errors can affect your blog’s user experience, crawl ability, indexability, and ranking potential. You have to manually create these elements or use third-party tools or codes.
As you can see, blogger has some benefits but also some drawbacks when it comes to SEO. If you want to use Blogger as your blogging platform, you have to be aware of these limitations. As I told you that they don’t have the built-in option for advanced SEO. So you always have to work around to find some hacks or external tools. So, if you want to have more control and flexibility over your blog’s SEO, you may want to consider other platforms that offer more SEO features and options.
Other alternatives for Blogger
There are several blogging platforms that can be better alternatives to Blogger in terms of providing better customization options features and advanced SEO options. Some of them are given below:
See, all the above-given blogging platforms are good. But, if you want to do blogging then WordPress is best of all. I also use WordPress. The blog which you are reading is also built-in WordPress. It is very simple and easy to use. At the same time, it offers a lot of advanced features for blogging. So if you are serious about blogging and if you can spend around $38 then should choose WordPress.
The next given below will clear all your doubts Why I am recommending you to choose WordPress over Blogger?
WordPress vs Blogger: Which one is better?
With WordPress, users get more control over the design and functionality of their site. It offers a wide range of customizable templates, and different plugins to add different features. This makes WordPress an ideal choice for those who want to create highly customized, professional-looking blogs. Since, WordPress has a large community of developers and users so they constantly contribute to the platform in terms of themes, plugins, and support. Also, most of the popular websites are built on WordPress. Some of the popular blogs and websites built on WordPress are:
- The New Yorker
- BBC America
- The New York Times Company
- The White House
- The Times of India
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Harvard Business Review
- The Verge
- The Guardian
On the other hand, Blogger is a free and easy-to-use platform. It is an ideal choice for those who are just starting out and who don’t want a lot of customization options in their blog.
Now, You may say that: Fine Now we got that WordPress is good for blogging. But it requires money to start a blog in WordPress by buying a hosting and domain. But we can’t afford to spend money. So can we earn money by blogging in Blogger? I have got you covered in the next section.
Is Blogger Good For Making Money?
Yes, Blogger is good for making money, but it is not the best platform to make money from blogging. Why? Because of the same reasons which I have mentioned above.
You can publish quality and valuable content to make money. To earn money from Blogger in the following ways:
- Google Adsense: Google Adsense is a program that allows you to display ads on your blog and earn money when your visitors click on them.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is a process where you promote or recommend products or services from other companies or individuals on your blog and earn a commission when someone buys them through your referral link.
- Sponsored Posts: Sponsored posts are articles or content that you create or publish on your blog in exchange for money or other benefits from a sponsor. A sponsor is usually a company or an individual that wants to promote their brand, product, service, or message to your blog’s audience.
If you are really serious and want to make money then you can make money from Blogger too. If you invest some time in learning and researching then you really build an amazing blog from Blogger.
If you face any issues while blogging from Blogger then you can comment in this article or can contact me. I will try to help you in the best way possible.
Related: Is Tech Blogging Profitable?
Some people who want to start blogging in blogger have this concern: Is Blogger Safe?
Is Blogger Safe?
Yes, Blogger is a safe blogging platform. Blogger is hosted on the world-class and most secure server of Google. So your blogs and their data remain safe from hackers, malware, and other online threats.
Why is it safe?
It is safe because:
- It supports HTTPS encryption, which is a protocol that ensures that your blog’s data and communication are secure and protected from hackers and malicious attacks.
- It allows you to control access to your blog by choosing who can view, comment, or contribute to your blog. You can make your blog public, private, or invite-only.
- It allows you to moderate comments and block spam or abusive users. You can manage access to your blog by going to Settings > Basic > Permissions.
- It backs up your blog’s data automatically on Google’s servers, which are reliable and secure. You can also export or import your blog’s data manually using the Backup & Restore feature. You can access this feature by going to Settings > Other > Import & Backup.
My personal experience with Blogger: In the beginning, I started my blogging journey with Blogger. I learned most of the things about blogging from Blogger itself. Then after a year, I moved to WordPress. While using Blogger I had not faced any security concerns.
Conclusion: Is Blogger Good For Blogging?
Blogger is good for blogging or not. Its answer depends on your goals, preferences, and budget. Blogger has some benefits but also some drawbacks when it comes to blogging. Blogger is good for people who want to create a free and simple blog without much hassle or technical skills. Blogger is good for a beginner who wants to learn about blogging. But, blogger is not good for people who want to have more control and flexibility over their blog’s design and functionality. Blogger is also not good for people who want to create a professional or niche blog that requires more advanced or specific features or options.
In my opinion, WordPress is the best among all of them if you want to start blogging. If you really don’t have money then only you should opt for Blogger.
I hope this article helped you understand the pros and cons of using Blogger for blogging, and gave you some alternatives to consider. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below. Also, If you are new to blogging and if you have any doubt related to blogging then you can ask me in the comment below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Blogger hosting free?
Yes, blogging is hosting free. The blogger is hosted by Google. You can only add a custom domain name in Blogger.
Do I need hosting for Blogger?
No, you don’t need hosting for Blogger. It is a free blogging platform that lets you create a blog without any investment.
Is Blogger a Google product?
Yes, Blogger is a product of Google. It has been designed and developed by Google.